- Complete the appropriate forms. We’ve provided links to the required forms below.
- Take the forms, your drivers license or state ID, and a certified copy of your birth certificate to the probate court and pay the $84 name change application fee. At the time of filing, a case number and hearing date are assigned.
- You have to publish notice of your name change hearing in a Stark County newspaper at least 30 days prior to the hearing. There is a cost for publishing the notice, it seems to be around $30 but this can vary. The newspaper will need a copy of your Notice of Hearing on Change of Name form (21.5). Be sure to request documentation that this was published from the newspaper, you will need this at your hearing.
- Go to the probate court for your hearing. After your name change goes through, be sure to get several copies of the documentation that shows your name change. You will need this to get your name changed in most systems (work, the bank, etc.).
Probate Court Information
Stark County Probate Court
110 Central Plaza South
Canton, Ohio 44702
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
There is metered parking near the building at these locations:
- Two blocks east of the Stark County Office Building at the corner of Walnut Avenue and 2nd Street, S.E. is the Cornerstone Parking Deck with the entrance on 3rd Street, S.E..
- Across the street from the Stark County Office Building at the corner of Market Avenue and 2nd Street, S.W. is a parking lot with limited availability, and with the entrance on 2nd Street, S.W.
- One block south of the Stark County Office Building on Market Avenue South and between 2nd Street and 3rd Street , S.W. is the New Market Parking Deck, with the entrance on Market Avenue.
- It is required by law that you be a resident of Stark County for at least one continuous year before you file your packet. If you have not lived in Stark County for at least one year, your application will be dismissed and your filing fees will not be refunded.
- It costs $84.00 to file an application for a name change. Only cash or certified check are accepted. If you need help paying for your name change there are applications for financial assistance available through TransOhio's Name Change Financial Assistance Program.
- Use your full name on the application. Write out your middle name instead of using your initials.
- You have to list a reason for the name change on the name change application. You do not have to disclose that you are a transgender person on the form. Keep in mind that these forms are entered into the court system and are publicly available, so whatever reason you put can be seen by others if they look you up in the future.
Stark County name change information was last updated on 2/6/2019.